Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Just do three things,...



Yes, for anyone who reads my blog they know that my rule for times of distress is to "Just do three things today" The reasoning behind it is that it makes me feel less guilty when I am having a black day. And sometimes, if I do three things it inspires me to keep on going. You know the theory,... well your up now, you may as well do such and such as well. Sometimes it can turn my black day into a somewhat shifty shade of grey.

But today. Today was a real test. I woke up feeling very depressed and down. Add to that the weather is extremely hot (34* ~ 40* with the humidity) and I just felt like a limp dishrag. I'll be honest with you. I wished that I could have gone back to bed and never woken up again.

But, I forced myself. I did my 3 things. I went to get my chest x-ray done,... I went to get my blood work done at the lab,.. and I went to the grocery store and bought some fruit. But once I came home I sank down into my lounge chair and didn't move for hours. I still feel sad. Depressed. Lethargic. Useless. A failure,...  (yes, this Black Fog is a bad one) But I have to say that having done my "3 things" I do feel like I also accomplished something and that is good.

I really hope this depression shifts soon. It really is a horrible way to feel. But while its here, I will keep in mind that baby steps are better than no steps at all,...

2 comments:

midnight rainbow said...

Thank you so much for this post. It helped me immensely when I woke up depressed and read it.

I love your idea of three things. I found it rather brilliant when I felt paralyzed to be able to do anything.

Next thing I knew the ball was rolling and I'd done a chore I'd been putting off for some time.

Thank you again.

Rob-bear said...

Wow! You got three things done! And they were not small. You had to go out of the house (a challenge in itself)! I must remember that "Just three things" approach when the Black Dog of depression comes back.

Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)