Thursday, May 26, 2011

Doctors appointment tomorrow

I have my second doctors app't tomorrow with my new GP since I moved here on May 1st. Last app't she made it clear she wants to help me but she will do it by the book. Because she didn't know me she wouldn't change my medication (Seroquel that I have been on for nearly 5 years and turns me into a drugged out zombie) but instead told me to be patient while she waited for my old doctors to send my charts over to her. I took this as a good sign as it means she wants to diagnose properly and prescribe medication to help that diagnoses. She warned me it could take months, not weeks and that I really do need to be patient while she starts treating/diagnosing my health care from scratch. I've been wanting this for YEARS!!! It seems that over the past 10 to 12 years no one has taken the time to deal with my mental health properly.
Anyway,.... I used to work in a medical clinic so I know how these things work. You wouldn't believe how many mental health patients are just passed around from doctor to doctor because no one really wants to deal with them. Here in Canada Psychiatrists under OHIP are so back-logged it can take years to get in to see one so in the meantime GP's (family Doctors) just throw meds at you once a month and call it done. I have had no counselling in over 7 years. I talk to no one except my old psychiatrist who I saw for about 5 minutes every 4 to 6 weeks. He gave me seroquel (would never allow me to change that no matter how much I told him I hated it) and sent me on my way. I didn't even have a family doctor for the past 2 years.
So really I'm feeling optimistic about my future care. (but guardedly,... I've been promised loads of care in the past that just didn't materialize) Having worked in a clinic myself I also know that it can take MONTHS for a chart to be transferred. So if my new doctor still hasn't received any of my past charts I know she will not change my medication. I will be forced to wait another 4 to 6 weeks for my next app't with her in the summer.
All I want,... have ever asked for in the past 7 or 8 years is someone to take the time to give me a proper and accurate diagnoses and then treat that illness. I've been given so many diagnoses over the years I can't even keep track of them all. It astonishes me that I end up in hospital (usually after an attempted O/D) and the doctor sees me 3 or 4 times in that 3 or 4 week hospital stay and gives me a brand new diagnosis. How the hell can they tell what I've got after only seeing me 3 or 4 times??? But when i get out, My GP would get those notes and would change my diagnosis to what this new psychiatrist says. It's been frustrating to say the least.
I know I'm not a doctor so I know I can't diagnose myself but I really do wish SOMEONE would. So I'm crossing my fingers and saying a little prayer that this new GP I'm seeing tomorrow is taking the time to do just that. One can only hope so that's what I'm doing. Being hopeful.

No comments: